Lifted from my fabulous friend, Nafisa, 25 points of contemplation on the year that was:
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I watched soccer at a stadium, US vs Algeria. The gees was amazing and contagious. Sure I was sick going there and got ridiculously ill afterwards, but it was totally worth it. I also attended a short course at Vega, Writing skills for copywriters, something I’ve been wanting to do for a few years now, and I was very good at it – even if I say so myself.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
A few years ago I resolved that I will accept help when it is offered, and to ask for it when I need it. I don’t always stick to it, and I will carry this forward in the next year. I will not be making any more.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
I’ll be housesitting for a friend, and plan to have a tiny pool party with some other friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Almost, but fortunately not.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. I did relocate to Jo’burg though.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Money. Loads of it. Less stress, etc.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Not only did the Soccer World Cup start on 11 June 2010, it was also the day my nephew had a cornea transplant.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Achieving highest marks in my class at Vega. It proved (to myself) that I can do copywriting, and pretty much anything creative, as long as I just get down and do it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
There are so many; I’d rather not dwell on that now.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just got over gastritis/pharyngitis. And I’ve a recurring ulcer that refuses to go away.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The groceries I got for my mom end of November.
12. Where did most of your money go?
The bottomless pit that is my debt.
13. What song will always remind you of 2010?
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Write and work on my secret project.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sitting in my room in Jo’burg feeling sorry for myself.
16. What was your favourite TV program?
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a very strong word, but the father person has definitely dropped off the list of people I like.
18. What was the best book you read?
Her fearful symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. She really has a way of writing to invoke really strong emotion with the reader.
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I managed to track down the song that I listened to repeatedly 15 years ago on the morning my grandfather died. I’ve made my peace with it. Allegro from Beethoven’s Sonata No4.
20. What was your favourite film of this year?
21. What did you do on your birthday?
Had a braai at my mom’s before I had a fight with her about my shrink.
22. What kept you sane?
My friends, prescription drugs, Twitter.
23. Who did you miss?
My grandfather, as always.
24. Who was the best new person you met?
Caryl, who generously offered me the use of her spare bedroom to live in.
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
You can do it – regardless of what “it” is.